Community Health Worker- Part-Time
MONTCLAIR FUND FOR EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE COVID VACCINE AWARENESS PROJECT
Community Health Worker (three part-time positions – 25 hrs/week)
Term: Present-June 30, 2021
The Montclair Fund for Educational Excellence (MFEE) has been awarded funding by the Partnership for Maternal and Child Health of Northern New Jersey, a regional grantee of the NJ Department of Health, to execute a broad COVID Vaccine Awareness Campaign shaped by and targeted at Black and Brown community members. MFEE is looking to hire three (3) individuals with a demonstrated commitment to public health, community organizing, and social justice to be trained as Community Health Workers and to be responsible for the implementation of this important public health initiative.
The Community Health Workers (CHWs) will conduct outreach in BIPOC communities in Montclair. CHWs will assist in the development and distribution of culturally appropriate print and online materials about the COVID vaccine, and assist in the presentation of virtual town halls and an outdoor community event that highlights COVID safety/vaccine awareness and connects attendees to health and other resources. CHWs will organize services to support vaccine registration and transportation for vulnerable populations. CHWs will receive extensive training on the relevant COVID-19 health education information as well as training in the development of outreach, education, advocacy and counseling competencies.
MFEE is an independent non-profit that raises private dollars to engage and empower students, families, teachers and supporters of public education, with a special emphasis on our town’s underserved population. To learn more about MFEE’s work, please visit us at https://mfee.org/
To apply, submit a resume and two references to Executive Director, Masiel Rodriquez-Vars at MFEE: firstname.lastname@example.org
● Work with MFEE Project Coordinator to establish outreach plans and strategies to Montclair’s BIPOC communities
● Conduct informational sessions with community members, in large and small-group settings, following COVID-19 safety protocols
● Assist in conducting outreach to BIPOC communities and community partners, particularly to churches and nonprofit organizations serving Black and Brown Montclairians
● Coordinate vaccine registration and transportation support for vulnerable populations
● Host virtual community forums to disseminate COVID-19 vaccine information
● Develop and share outreach and information materials with local communities and on social media
● Meet regularly with Project Coordinator and MFEE Executive Director;
● Prepare and submit narrative and statistical reports regarding outreach efforts in a timely manner to the Executive Director and assist in the preparation of reports to funder;
● Attend mandatory 144-hour CHW training conducted by the NJ Department of Health. o Note that training is in pursuit of CHW certification offered through Bergen, Essex, Morris and Ocean County Community College. Certification requires 1000-2000 hours of on-the-job experience. These positions provide approximately 300 hours toward that goal
● 18 years of age or older
● High school diploma (or equivalency) required; associate’s or bachelor’s degree preferred
● Experience (lived or professional) connecting with marginalized populations
● Community organizing experience preferred
● Comfortable with technology: able to use virtual meeting platforms, texting and email to communicate; familiarity with Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
● Conversational Spanish a plus
● Ability to attend evening and weekend meetings
● Self-motivation; ability to be detail oriented, well-organized, and to prioritize assignments and work load
● Enthusiastic to work collaboratively in a team environment
● Experience and comfort with public speaking preferred but not required
● Drivers’ license or other official ID required; and access to car preferred but not required
Candidates will need to complete COVID testing, fingerprinting, and background check (both provided by MFEE) prior to hiring. Schedule and compensation: $17.50/hour (PPE and all other supplies will be provided).
The position does not include benefits. The position is for 25 hours/week, inclusive of four-hour, bi-weekly training sessions. MFEE is an equal opportunity employer. MFEE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities as well as individuals with long-established relationships in BIPOC communities in the Township of Montclair.