Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of projects are typically approved?
Professional Development Grants support enrichment experiences that strengthen teachers' and administrators' skills to improve student achievement. Grants fund tuition fees, but do not support travel, lodging or meals related to the experience.
What is expected of me if I am awarded a grant?
At the end of the project, grantees complete an evaluation survey. Grantees are encouraged to share lessons learned with MPS colleagues.
Who Can Apply?
Montclair Public School teachers and administrators.
When can I apply?
Grants are awarded in the spring and fall. The fall 2019 applications are due on October 28th.
What is the average grant award?
Awards range from $75 - $600.
MFEE awards grants for innovative projects and professional development that will have a direct impact in the classroom or school. Proposals are evaluated on the quality of the application, demonstrated need for the project, and the extent to which the proposal presents a creative way to enhance grade level curricula and support current District goals.
Technology-related items are reviewed with the District Technology Coordinator. Technology requests must be directly tied to curricular objectives.
Items MFEE Does Not Fund
- Class trips or school-wide assemblies.
- Snacks or food to be served during the project.
- Substitute teachers.
- Teacher stipends to enable participation in the project unless the program requires a significant time commitment outside of normal school hours.
- Consumable, one-time-use items, such as tshirts.
- Travel, lodging, materials, and other expenses.*
- Courses required in order to obtain an advanced degree.*
- Programs occurring during the school day and/or that require the hiring of a substitute teacher.*
- Renewal grants for annually occurring workshops/conferences are not encouraged.*
*Pertain to Greenwald Professional Development Grants