Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of projects are typically approved?
Social and Emotional Learning Grants enhance students' social and emotional competencies, including their ability to manage emotions, develop positive relationships, strengthen self-esteem, and show empathy for others. Projects should address the stress of remote learning.
Who can apply?
Any Montclair Public School staff member or representative of a school-based parent organization.
When can I apply?
The second round of grants for this school year will be awarded in January. The 2020-21 applications are due on January 8th.
What is the maximum grant award?
The maximum grant award will be $500. MFEE may award partial funding in many cases.
What is expected of me if I am awarded a grant?
At the end of the project, grantees complete an evaluation survey and supply MFEE with photos, student testimonials, or short videos to document the project.
The Montclair Fund for Educational Excellence (MFEE) recognizes that the need for Social and Emotional grants is even greater during remote learning, when stress levels are high and opportunities for social connection are limited. Fall/Winter 2020-21 Social and Emotional grants will be awarded to Montclair Public School faculty for projects that:
- Foster connection among students and/or between teachers and students
- Provide strategies for managing stress, expressing and navigating emotions, and increasing self-regulation
- Teach students the importance of helping others in their home, their community, or the greater world
Technology-related items are reviewed with the District Technology Coordinator. Technology requests must be directly tied to curricular objectives.
Items MFEE Does Not Fund
- Class trips or school-wide assemblies.
- Snacks or food to be served during the project.
- Substitute teachers.
- Teacher stipends to enable participation in the project unless the program requires a significant time commitment outside of normal school hours.
- Consumable, one-time-use items, such as tshirts.
- Travel, lodging, materials, and other expenses.*
- Courses required in order to obtain an advanced degree.*
- Programs occurring during the school day and/or that require the hiring of a substitute teacher.*
- Renewal grants for annually occurring workshops/conferences are not encouraged.*
*Pertain to Greenwald Professional Development Grants